UQ’s vision for 2018 – 2021 is to achieve knowledge leadership through research enhancements. The university has implemented a Research Management Business Transformation Program including improvement of visibility, collaboration, security, transparency and access. Measurement of impact and engagement is an essential.
UQ’s strategic plan for research excellence included:
- Acquiring, maintaining, and utlising research infrastructure
- Encouraging internal collaboration between researchers from different disciplines and organisational units
- Pursuing international collaborations in research and education
- Facilitiating researchers to partner with industry, governement, and the community
- Investing in systems and processes that benefit researchers
To achieve these powerful objectives, UQ required a purpose-built research management system.
UQ’s research management solution was outdated. It provided no link between pre- and post-award, and no online access to data outside the Research Management Office. The lack of authoritative location for all information relating to research projects resulted in time wastage, multiple bespoke local systems to deal with deficiencies and poor visbility of post-award activity and compliance.
The challenge was to design a solution that addressed:
- Increased efficiency of research-related administrative processes
- Substaintial staff resource capacity savings and enhanced staff experience
- Enhanced information visibility and connectivity
- Increased agility to accomodate changing operational requirements
- Enahnced abilities for analysis, monitoring and governance of research
- Improved management of risk and research compliance
- Enhanced client satisfaction and ongoing partnerships
- Enhanced interactions with external partners through better access to research data
F1 Solutions proposed OmniStar Research, an enterprise-grade Research Management System, to meet UQ’s objectives. The solution, which came to be known as MyResearch, facilitated the effective, streamlined and transparent administration of research projects, including research administration management, and compliance management. The solution also supported integration with core UQ systems and enabled a holistic view of research project management, administration and compliance across the research lifecycle at UQ.
MyResearch enables individual researchers and research administrators to have direct access to key research project information, facilitating research administration and compliance management. It also supports enhanced project financial management with interfaces to UQ systems that control these elements.
The benefits for UQ
Real time information
Upgraded research management software and functionality, providing researchers real-time, online project information and control of research administration
Streamlined online application and electronic approval processes for key research administration tasks and functions.
Enhanced connectivity and integration of research management functions across the research lifecycle, including ethics, funding, data management and publication.
Enhanced capabilities for analysis, monitoring and governance of research.
Increased efficiency in project operationalisation and accuracy. Enhanced client satisfaction and ongoing partnerships.
Increased agility to accommodate changing operational requirements. Reduction in enquiry demand around setup, funding and administration.
See how OmniStar has helped these great organisations
Department of Natural Resources, Mining and Energy Case Study
DNRME needed an improved grants management system and set of processes to meeting the desired level of service, probity and adherence to legislation.
Soil CRC Case Study
Soil CRC implemented OmniStar Grants to boost performance, flexibility, adaptability and engagement.
NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment Case Study
DPIE needed a contemporary grants management system to address existing limitations in their grant application, approval and management processes.
NHMRC HREA Case Study
OmniStar Ethics was a vital ingredient in the NHMRC’s system transformation for ethics application submissions.
Arrange for a demo to see OmniStar in action and speak with our expert team today about how we can help you reimagine grants, ethics and research.